- 16 oz Contadina tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp. Salt
- 3 tsp. oregano
- 4 lbs. fresh road-kill
- 2 beers or 750 ml zinfandel wine
- 2 jalapeno peppers; chopped
- 2-4 tbsps. chili powder
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp. green onions; finely chopped
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. cumin powder
- 2 tbsp. chopped bell pepper
Grind up 4 pounds of fresh road-kill.
Just about anything is acceptable:
(armadillo, rabbit, possum, chicken, unidentified…)
Stay away from skunks since their odor-ferociousness may have a negative effect on the result.
If you live in an area where there’s not much highway traffic, or where urbanization has scared off all the critters and your neighbors keep their pets indoors, then you can use (all) the following meat as a substitute:
- 2 lbs. ground beef (chili grind)
- 1 lb. venison (chili grind) .. pork is ok
- 1 lb. ground Italian sausage
- 12 oz. Mexican chorizo sausage
- Mix all the meat in a large kettle.
- If using the ‘substitute’ ingredients above, then cut open the chorizo wrapping and squeeze out the contents into the mixture of the 4 lbs. of other meats.
- Brown the meat, stirring occasionally to mix well.
- Once the meat has browned, add the tomato sauce, beer (or wine) and all of the seasonings.
- it is a good idea at this early juncture to use only half of the chili pepper and oregano and reserve the rest until later so that you can season to your taste.
- Cook over low-medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, then reduce heat to low and cover. Cook covered for 1 hour, stirring from time to time.
- Sample for taste, increase seasoning as desired, and cook on low for another hour, stirring occasionally.
- Sample again and add additional cumin, chili pepper, oregano, Jalapenos or critters to suit your taste; turn off heat and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Reheat on the following day and serve.
- For an especially tasty presentation, serve up in bowls and sprinkle the top with chopped white onions and shredded Monterrey Jack and cheddar cheeses.
Yield: 6-8 servings
2416total visits,3visits today